Facilitating with Heart
Navigating the emotions triggered by clarifying a situation
We often think of assessing the situation as a cognitive step: exploring data, fact-finding, etc. But it may give rise to many emotions. Being public about a situation, answering unexpected questions, being challenged about their assumptions, can bring the client to the edge of discomfort.
This very interactive workshop is an invitation to become more aware of what is at stake in the clarification phase, to realize the need for empathy and to reflect on strategies in order to become better facilitators when accompanying the client in the sensitive step of clarification.
The Skinny: 3 things you will do in this session
- Clarify client needs when assessing a situation that requires innovative change
- Identify emotions triggered in the client when they are assessing the situation
- Discuss empathy and strategies that could improve our facilitation skills in these sensitive moments
Clara KlukClara is a partner of PIENSA, a consulting firm in México City and in Costa Rica, specializing in organizational development and creativity training and facilitation. She works with organizations across Mexico, and Latin America to facilitate creativity and innovation, to help manage change and transition, and enhance teamwork and leadership.
Mexico City, México
An artist, and expert in social sciences, Clara has more than 20 years of experience. She has worked extensively for many corporations, in several different fields, including pharmaceutical, financial, cosmetics, insurance, telecommunications, education, food, and social services.
Clara holds a Master of Science degree in Creativity and Innovation from the International Center for Studies in Creativity at Buffalo State College.
Clara is a returning presenter. Click to see what they've presented in the past.
Sylvain RouillardPsychologist, specialized in creativity.
President of Crea-Québec, Quebec’s association for the development of creativity.
He designs and facilitates workshops and delivers conferences on creativity and creative problem solving since more than 25 years. Hundreds of conferences and workshops all over the world.
Teaching of Psychology of creativity and innovation methods at various universities : Certificate in creativity and Innovation at University of Montreal, Université du Québec à Montréal.
Facilitator of creativity workshops in international conferences: ten years at CPSI, (creative problem solving institute at Buffalo), since ten years at Mindcamp (Ontario, Canada), and at CREA Conference (annual European conference in Italy) since its second year.
He also helps individuals and teams from public and private organizations in various fields to achieve innovative results: government agencies, tourism, architecture, food industry, medias, etc.
His consulting and training activities have taken him across Québec and in Canada, United States, Italy, France, Mexico and India.
Sylvain is a returning presenter. Click to see what they've presented in the past.
All sessions in this timeslot:
- All Inclusive A 5-star approach to human-centred design (Janeen Halliwell)
- Collective Image Streaming Postcards from the edge of group consciousness (Ginny Santos)
- The Edge It's the moment of NOW! (Anthony Hyatt)
- Facilitating with Heart Navigating the emotions triggered by clarifying a situation (Clara Kluk, Sylvain Rouillard)
- Hum Strum Ukulele! If everyone played the ukulele, the world would be a better place (Tom McMillian, Megan Mitchell)
- Mining Your Creative Capacity A how-to guide for implementation and rapid results (Bert Rossouw)
> Head on back to the full Session List...
> ...or why not just hop to a random session?