Hard Spaces / Safe Places
Bringing the creative mind into the hard discussions of sex, politics, and religion
Our most creative selves can show up for these conversations if we make the process and the space. Then you, your unvarnished self, perfectly imperfect, can come away with a vision for what we could be, not a diagnosis of what's wrong with who we are now.
The Rev. Allan Cole brings sensitivity and humor to the process because he has failed more times than he can count. As a white, straight, Southern guy, he knows we need to keep showing up and trying. So, he has created and tested a community conversation that has proven successful for even the most tender topics.
The Skinny: 3 things you will do in this session
- Humility and curiosity as tools for community transformation
- Hear the creative and prophetic voices in your community
- Take away a process to bring your current flawed, imperfect self (and those of others) into relationship
Allan ColeAllan Cole grew up in the southern part of the US, steeped in a culture of storytelling. He studied Economics in college and parleyed that degree into a career as an entrepreneur, business owner, and a residential and commercial manufacturer. Allan left all that to go to seminary to become an Episcopal priest.
In seminary, Allan developed a love of preaching and a respect for the deep wisdom of the tradition. He got to work with amazing preachers and storytellers and has gone on to preach several sermons a week, 52 weeks a year.
He has a passion for music, motorcycles, pop culture and justice that inform his preaching sensibility. Allan is a community activist and uses his pulpit to address matters of implicit bias, social justice, building beloved community, and bringing people out of the dark background of difference into a more loving world. He uses his childhood experiences in the South to fuel change though preaching and teaching.
Allan is a returning presenter. Click to see what they've presented in the past.
All sessions in this timeslot:
- Blindfolded! A sightless experience (Denise Pinto)
- Collaborative Combustion Lessons learned from the creative frontier (Lee Kitchen, Wayne Childers, Mark Dodsworth)
- Hard Spaces / Safe Places Bringing the creative mind into the hard discussions of sex, politics, and religion (Allan Cole)
- Learning from Labyrinth A one-way path to learn, un-learn, re-learn. Let the labyrinth guide you. (Chiara Micalizzi, Alessia Berti, Marina Randich)
- Pitch 'er Perfect How to craft and deliver a perfect pitch (Doug Carter)
- Samurai Wisdom Exploring Your Edge (Jay Aquilanti, Kristen Peterson)
- Your Lifetime Reimagined A time travel experience (Matteo Catullo, Newell Eaton)
> Head on back to the full Session List...
> ...or why not just hop to a random session?