Storytelling to Inspire
Dreaming with your eyes wide OPEN
Stories connect us to one another, creating shared experiences. Stories deepen our understanding, creating empathy. Stories connect our hearts and minds, bringing the whole self to the innovation challenge.
Stories help us push out on our own boundaries of what is possible – to the edge and beyond. In the field of innovation and creativity some of the best novel and useful ideas are uncovered in the “Third third” – where you get beyond the cognitive, rational, top of mind ideas and solutions. This is where stories come in, taking us into our non-cognitive brain space – to emotions, intuition, feelings and new connections. Much like dreams tap into our subconscious, stories allow us to evoke the dream state – while fully awake and aware. Stories allow us to pull forward those underlying wishes, dreams, emotions into our current awareness and use them to create our desired future state.
This highly interactive and experiential session (meaning you’ll be telling and listening to each other’s stories) is for the Mindcamper who wants to build relationships in groups, deepen your personal awareness and tap into this powerful means of inspiring innovation. We will practice different approaches to storytelling to inspire us to stretch creativity beyond the edge.
The Skinny: 3 things you will do in this session
- Grounding and practical prompts (words and visuals) to dive into stories – What are some ways I can get started?
- Practices to use facilitating a group in creative story expression. – How can groups use storytelling in a safe and natural way to build relationships?
- A personal action plan for how to use story as a creative edge, bringing new energy to yourself and your creative facilitation – How might I use this?
Susannah ChildersSusannah Childers is the Founder and Creator of Possibility for her company, Ah Ha! She designs and facilitates Organizational Learning, Strategic Planning & Innovation. Susannah is a life-long learner, continuously seeking new adventures through experiences (like travel) and knowledge (idea creation). She easily meets people on their path and uses her client-side perspective to think together with them create foundations for future possibilities.
Susannah has a BA in Economics and Spanish from Washington University in St. Louis and an MBA from Northwestern University’s Kellogg Graduate School of Management. Susannah began her career at Helene Curtis (now Unilever) and worked for The Procter and Gamble Company connecting teams and driving learning and innovation. She lives in Cary, North Carolina with her husband Wayne and two daughters where she volunteers for the organizations she values, showing up with large visual boards helping inspire and connect people to each other and their work.
Susannah is a returning presenter. Click to see what they've presented in the past.
All sessions in this timeslot:
- Creativity X-Press Key attitudes, principles, and tools (Latise Hairston)
- Excursions to the Edge (Dorte Nielsen, Tim Hurson)
- Feeding Change Standing on the edge of chaos (John Sedgwick)
- Inspire Your Ideal A whole-being happiness workshop (Megan Mitchell)
- Journalling at the Edge Send yourself a postcard from the edge everyday (Anthony Billoni)
- Storytelling to Inspire Dreaming with your eyes wide OPEN (Susannah Childers)
- The YES, AND Inside NO, BUT (Beth Slazak)
> Head on back to the full Session List...
> ...or why not just hop to a random session?