Decision time! Help us out.
We’ve considered a list of ± 50 possible sites as a new home for Mindcamp in the future. Our criteria included:
- less than 3 hours from Toronto airport
- available in August or September
- meals and accommodation for ±130 participants
- single and shared accommodation
- enough indoor meeting spaces for at least 6 concurrent sessions
- at least one indoor space that can accommodate all Mindcampers for a plenary
- has a central place to relax (what we’ve traditionally called “The Hub”)
- has access to nature (the “camp” in “Mindcamp”)
All of that allowed us to converge on 2 viable candidates, which we visited on November 3 and 4, 2022:
Bayview Wildwood Resort is on a smaller lake just north of Lake Couchiching (Geneva Park’s lake). It’s 90 minutes’ drive from Toronto airport, and would have availability in September. Our quick take: An older facility with many recent renovations, strong family cottage vibe. More like Geneva Park.
Unifor Family Education Centre is in Port Elgin, on Lake Huron. It’s just under 3 hours’ drive from Toronto airport, and would have availability in August. Our quick take: Modern facility, very beautiful, strong social justice vibe. More institutional but very warm and friendly.