How to tell your business story
Stories are compelling. We instantly begin paying attention when a story grabs us. But stories don’t always have to be fictional. Your business idea is a story. And the better you learn to tell it, the more effective you can be.
Using an experiential approach, this session will help anyone, including emerging entrepreneurs, to pitch their business idea with ease—almost like telling a personal story to a friend or a family member.
You will leave with practical storytelling tools and techniques including a step-by-step structure for organizing your business idea, the power of poetry and rhythm in conveying what might otherwise be dry data, and the secret of deep listening to determine when your story is working and when you need to change course.
You will tap into creativity you never knew you had by re-examining your idea, recreating it as a short story, and presenting it to the group. don’t be scared. It’ll be fun.
The Skinny: 3 things you will do in this session
- Complete a worksheet narrative as a base for your story
- Re-imagine your pitch as a compelling story
- Appreciate the mistake-full energy of syncopation
Copyright: alphaspirit / 123RF Stock Photo
Peter’s background includes business management education-programming, from Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, and Executive Programs.
He holds a BFA degree (Hons – in contemporary modern dance) from York University, a Master’s in Design – Strategic Foresight Innovation from OCAD University, and several executive education certificates from: MIT Sloan School Entrepreneurship Program, Wharton School of Business, INSEAD School of Business Social Entrepreneurship Program, and Rotman School of Management, Executive Programs, Integrative Thinking Program.
His research focus includes integrative and design thinking, entrepreneurship, social innovation, social finance (Microfinance) and Indigenous visual cultural research (OCAD U INVC).
Currently, Peter is co-founder of a social enterprise, and a freelance instructor/facilitator.
Peter is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
All sessions in this timeslot:
- Co-Becoming Arising Designing spaces for deep change and transformation (Nicole Dobinson, Erin Dixon)
- Imperfect Pitch How to tell your business story (Peter Scott)
- The Mind/Character Split … & how to use it to transform your life (Deron Essex)
- Objects of Genius Unleash creative genius with an apple and a chair (Philippe Brasseur)
- Shower Thinking An Introduction to the art, science, and process of incubation (Clare Dus, Kristen Peterson)
- Simply Drawing (Kaz Ogino)
- Yes, And … No, But (Janeen Halliwell, Paul Fleming)