Inside Feminist Business
Welcome to the world of entrepreneurial feminism
Gender equality is one of the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. The work of social and political activists is part of the solution. Can entrepreneurs and innovators play a role as well?
Entrepreneurial feminism can and does drive gender equity in economic, political and social realms. Feminist business practice goes beyond conventional corporate diversity-and-inclusion talking points. It redefines everything about how business is done through a feminist-values lens, designing alternative ways to create sustainable ventures. Entrepreneurial feminists create wealth and social change, based on feminist values such as agency, interdependence, and generosity.
In this session, we’ll discuss the growing entrepreneurial feminist community, what feminist business practice looks like in action, and how the feminist business model canvas can help.
If you are a feminist (of any gender) and have been wondering how to apply your values at work or in the design of a new venture, this session will provide you with a set of practical tools to help you get there.
The Skinny: 3 things you will do in this session
- Learn about the feminist business model canvas and how to apply it to your venture or workplace
- Discover 10 top business practices that feminist entrepreneurs can leverage to change the world
- Leave feeling more hopeful about advancing gender equity in our lifetime
Petra Mutch is a serial social purpose entrepreneur and publisher, deeply committed to creating a more inclusive, just, human-centered and generative economy through the power of feminist business practice, pedagogy, theory, innovation and entrepreneurship. Her enterprise, Eve-volution Inc (2014), a B Corp certified, lean, networked feminist enterprise advocates for and designs programs that promote equity and inclusion in startup and community-based economic development ecosystems. Her magazine, LiisBeth serves as a convener, capacity-builder and voice for the growing, 10 000+ all gender, entrepreneurial feminist community.
Mutch is is a certified Feminist Business Model Canvas Master Coach and holds an EMBA from the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management. She is a co-founding co-producer of the Entrepreneurial Feminist Forum—an educational, collaboration and resilience-crafting conference for entrepreneurial feminists of all genders. Her work was recently recognized in the Canada 150 Women: Conversations with Leaders, Champions and Luminaries book which was published November 2017. Mutch was recognized as one of Canada’s Inspiring 50 women in April 2018.
All sessions in this timeslot:
- Boardroom Bushcraft How to thrive in any environment (Peter Zapf)
- Cryptocurrencies Playing with the chain of trust (James McAnanama)
- Grow | Transform | Emerge (Ana Matic, Goran Matic)
- Inside Feminist Business Welcome to the world of entrepreneurial feminism (Petra Mutch)
- Know Thyself The wabi-sabi of awakening (Courtney Kazembe)
- Raising Individual Resilience Adapting to change (Deborah Jann, Giselle Kovary)
- Restore Repair an object, repair your soul (Leonardo Muñoz)