Hum Strum Ukulele!
If everyone played the ukulele, the world would be a better place
If you’ve always wanted to play a musical instrument, but has not yet had a chance. This session is for you. Also, the session is open to folks with musical experience and now would like to check out the mighty ukulele.
This is a hands-on session! Everyone will get a ukulele (uke) to play! We’ll start with an overview of the uke and then quickly start teaching you how to play cords and to strum. We're assuming everyone can hum.
We’ll be playing and singing together. We have a series of 4 to 5 songs that we plan on teaching. Each song will teach you something new and build upon what you have learned.
One of our main goals is to laugh a lot and enjoy having a wonderful time learning to play the ukulele.
"If everyone played the ukulele, the world would be a better place." — Jake Shimabukuro
The Skinny: 3 things you will do in this session
- Ignite the feeling of creativity in your soul
- Listen and harmonize with others
- Learn some basic chords enabling you, with a bit of practice, to play hundreds of songs.
Tom McMillianSince 2008, Tom McMillian has been the President of Techtao, a marketing consultancy. Tom not only brings innovative thinking to companies, but also works as the chief marketing officer for selective companies. Previously, Tom worked for Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson in the role of Director of Relationship & Interactive Marketing.
While at Pfizer, Tom was on the core team that brought innovation-cultural-change to the Pfizer. Not only was Tom instrumental in the creation and development of Pfizer Consumer Healthcare’s new innovation process, but also Tom was the highest ranked innovation instructor. In recognition of his efforts, Pfizer awarded Tom the W.E. Upjohn award for Innovation.
In addition to working for his clients, Tom brings his marking expertise, creativity, and passion for the arts to the Morris Arts as a board member. Plus, he loves playing his ukulele. Tom believes that a key ingredient to each day’s success is playing his beloved uke. Recently, he’s been nourishing his soul, playing music originally written for the lute on his ukulele.
Tom is a returning presenter. Click to see what they've presented in the past.
Megan MitchellMegan is a consultant, speaker, author and educator. She is an Innovation and Leadership Consultant and the Program Director for Schulich’s Centre of Excellence in Innovation.
Megan believes in soaking up every opportunity to grow. She spent nearly 20 years in Innovation, Leadership, Marketing and Sales, including 13 inspiring years at Mindcamp. She recently completed her Certificate in Positive Psychology. Megan believes we are all creative; her passion is to help people discover their unique gifts and ways of contributing for greater business success and personal fulfillment.
When not traveling, Megan loves hosting salons, walking around her neighbourhood, getting her hands dirty in the garden or creating in stained glass.
Megan is a returning presenter. Click to see what they've presented in the past.
All sessions in this timeslot:
- All Inclusive A 5-star approach to human-centred design (Janeen Halliwell)
- Chindogu The art of making something un-useless (Darrell Kidd)
- Collective Image Streaming Postcards from the edge of group consciousness (Ginny Santos)
- The Edge It's the moment of NOW! (Anthony Hyatt)
- Facilitating with Heart Navigating the emotions triggered by clarifying a situation (Clara Kluk, Sylvain Rouillard)
- Hum Strum Ukulele! If everyone played the ukulele, the world would be a better place (Tom McMillian, Megan Mitchell)
- Learning from Labyrinth A one-way path to learn, un-learn, re-learn. Let the labyrinth guide you. (Chiara Micalizzi, Alessia Berti, Marina Randich)
> Head on back to the full Session List...
> ...or why not just hop to a random session?