(in an insane world)
Globalization, the gig economy, the dawning age of the machine — most of us feel overwhelmed by ever faster changing times. Despite the popular receipes — think positive, optimize yourself, care for yourself — most are still struggling. In moments of truth, most people describe themselves as exhausted, anxious and out of control.
Instead of looking for external acceptance and salvation, the alternative solution is in ourselves. According to the timeless reflections of the Stoic philosophers, duty, virtue, compassion, and reason (currently not very popular concepts) lead to a fulfilled and happy life.
The more than 2,000-year-old school of philosophic practice of the Stoics helped its disciples to live and thrive during the most tumultuous times of history. Seneca, Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius — these exceptional thinkers forged their philosophy in practice to survive the pressures of their times to stay human and just. We will transfer this timeless wisdom directly to our life by practicing their exercises to create inner stability, building and serving communities and growing as human beings.
The Skinny: 3 things you will do in this session
- Meet Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, and Seneca and practice their most useful exercises!
- Discover the timeless principles of one of the most potent schools of thought in practice and learn to apply them to your life
- Learn how to face reality and gain control of your own life and feelings, even in the face of adverse circumstances
To the annoyance of his teachers, Jens has been a critical, independent and integrative thinker since being a kid. Due to a childhood spent in libraries, nature, and hospitals, he learned very early how to learn on his own, drag himself out of misery and to take the fate into his own hands.
Being a father and serial entrepreneur, Jens is finding a lot of opportunities to practice the art of constant failure, learning, and improving. He has a lot of fun experimenting with new concepts and approaches to business and life. His life is a quest to find powerful questions and surprising answers.
To support his Socratic style of inquiry he has studied and practices Dialogue, Scenario Management, Storytelling, LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® and Business Coaching. He works with global clients in Germany, Europe, the Middle East and India on diverse topics as Business Strategy, Identity, and Cyber Security.
This is Jens’s first year presenting at Mindcamp.
All sessions in this timeslot:
- The Convergence Challenge Navigating the emotional potholes of decision-making (Ismet Mamnoon, Laura Barbero Switalski)
- Elements of Creativity Tapping into natural elements to inspire our creative selves (Susannah Childers)
- Plant a Flourishing Business (Ian Poinsenet)
- Preach it! Applying the primal wisdom of preaching and storytelling to your presentations and talks (Allan Cole)
- Stay Sane (in an insane world) (Jens Hoffmann)
- Writing the Vignette A first step in memoir writing (Michelle Tokarczyk)