The soul of creativity
Scientists have found that people who have deep relationships with people from other cultures score higher on standard creativity tests. In one study, business school students who'd dated someone from another culture became more creative. In another, researchers found that simply reflecting on a deep relationship with someone from another culture caused a temporary boost in creativity. Another study found that peer-reviewed research papers written by ethnically diverse teams receive significantly more citations than those written by homogeneous teams.
Arguably, cultural diversity is one of the most powerful factors in boosting group creativity.
In this session you’ll use the Implicit Association Test to reveal how you encounter cultural differences — and how you can use your awareness to be more creative. A few weeks before Mindcamp, we’ll post a link to a site where you can take the IAT at no cost. Please come prepared to discuss your results with your colleagues.
The Skinny: 3 things you will do in this session
- A clear sense of how you encounter cultural differences
- A tool to help identify hidden assumptions that may be blocking your creative potential
- A map of the stages of intercultural sensitivity
Hamlin GrangeHamlin is a diversity and inclusion strategist with nearly two decades of experience working with individuals, teams and organizations to meet the challenges and reap the rewards of a culturally diverse environment. He is a Qualified Administrator of the Intercultural Development Inventory™. As principal consultant and president of DiversiPro, a diversity consulting firm based in Toronto, Hamlin has been engaged by corporations, not-for-profit agencies and governments in Canada, the US, and Europe.
Hamlin believes a deeper understanding of how culture affects human interactions is a vital prerequisite in today’s fast-paced diverse world. He is a skilled facilitator and trainer with keen insights in team dynamics and intercultural competence.
Hamlin is a returning presenter. Click to see what they've presented in the past.
All sessions in this timeslot:
- Cognitive Biases Why saying "defer judgment" is delusional (Susan Robertson)
- The Courage to Jump (Ingvar Jónsson)
- Game-Based Learning Soft skills developed by playing HARD! (Rodrigo Sánchez Picazo)
- Navigating Culture The soul of creativity (Hamlin Grange)
- Sense-ational Svadhyaya A journey of self-study through the 5 senses (Tamara Christensen, Iz Wyrd)
- WeTube 2.0 Creating your message in a video (Jim Ridge)
> Head on back to the full Session List...
> ...or why not just hop to a random session?