What's That Smell?
Building your sensory postcard
In this Mind U session, we invite you to join us as we reconnect with the senses of sight, sound, smell, touch and taste. This session is experiential with excursions and unusual demonstrations that help us build our own sensory postcards to revisit time and time again. We will explore the push pull of using our senses to “just be” and using our senses to make connections. Come smell, listen to, taste, touch and look at the world we live in (the pleasant and the not so much). And, as a bonus — you will learn how to use a spit cup.
The Skinny: 3 things you will do in this session
- Discover your ability to connect to your sensory consciousness
- Practice techniques for naming and describing your sensory experiences
- Use your awareness of sensory signals to create greater meaning
Clare DusAt Sensory Spectrum, Inc. Clare listens to the clients, asks questions and then designs innovative methodologies to meet their needs.
She has tasted, smelled, felt, and looked at a wide range of products including foods and beverages, personal care products, paper products, fabrics, and pharmaceuticals. She believes that the data holds the story. Using a variety of techniques, both statistical and exploratory, she will uncover the sensory story.
Clare has a BSc in Food Science from Rutgers University, NJ, and is a leader for the Creative Problem Solving Institute.
Clare is a returning presenter. Click to see what they've presented in the past.
Lee StapletonLee’s experience in sensory and strategic consulting leverages her deep understanding of the descriptive sensory properties of foods and beverages, pharmaceuticals, personal and home care products, and paper and fabrics to provide information and insight to her clients and colleagues.
Lee studied Food Science at Clemson and NC State University and held several positions involving product development, quality, technical sales, and sensory prior to joining Sensory Spectrum in 1998.
This is Lee's first year presenting at Mindcamp.
All sessions in this timeslot:
- Bouffon for Everyone The power of humour (Massimo Agostinelli)
- C.H.A.N.G.E.(S.) Turn and face the strange (Liz Monroe-Cook)
- Extreme Exploration What Marco Polo, Christopher Columbus, and Arctic explorers have taught us about the world at the edge (Mary Ellyn Vicksta)
- The Future is All Made Up Science Fiction postcards from the unimaginable future (Michelle Auerbach)
- The Hero Within Designing a life on purpose (Francois Coetzee)
- Painting Your Postcard Embracing your past and imagining your future (Russell Thomas)
- STEM Skillz for Kids (Vareia Boxill)
- The Vortex of Innovation Draft your project from the edge (Edouard Le Marechal)
- What's That Smell? Building your sensory postcard (Clare Dus, Lee Stapleton)
> Head on back to the full Session List...
> ...or why not just hop to a random session?